An Employment Law Firm Dedicated To Employees’ Rights
Several laws are in place to protect employees from discrimination when it comes to compensation, including the Equal Pay Act of 1963 (EPA). Generally, employees of similar skill and experience who perform similar job duties can expect to receive similar pay. But that’s not always the case.
At the office of Stephanie Jane Hahn, Attorney at Law PC, we help employees across Indiana who have been victims of equal pay discrimination. From our Indianapolis office, we can help you push back against unfair treatment and discrimination in the workplace.
Understanding Fair Pay
Generally, the law requires that men and women are paid equal pay for equal work, except for differences in the following:
- Quality of production or quantity of earnings
- Factors other than sex
“Equal work” isn’t based on job titles, but rather job duties. Specifically, the EPA considers two jobs to be equal if they share similarities with regard to:
- The level of skill required to perform the job
- The amount of effort, in terms of mental or physical exertion, required for the job
- The degree of responsibility imparted on the employee
- Working conditions, including the presence of hazards or factoring in elements like temperature or ventilation
- The establishment where the work takes place
Despite these protections, some employers still discriminate. You have a reasonable expectation of fair pay. If you find yourself in this situation, contacting an experienced lawyer can help place you on equal footing.
What We Can Do For You
Attorney Stephanie Jane Hahn can review your claim and discuss with you your options for moving forward. As an accomplished and recognized employment attorney, she can step in and help you determine how to best document the discrimination, as well as what steps to take so that you get fair pay.