Violation of the wage and hour laws

If you are an employee who has been wrongly denied the required minimum wage and overtime pay, you may be able to recover the wages by reporting it as a violation. The Fair Labor Standards Act requires employers to pay the federal minimum wage and overtime pay if an employee worked over 40 hours a week. An employer who fails to provide minimum wage and overtime pay to his employees is committing wage theft. The affected employee or a third party may file a complaint against the employer if wage theft is suspected.

The federal minimum wage was set at $7.25 per hour by the federal government in July 2009. Note that different states have their respective state minimum wage requirements that are higher than the federal minimum.

Employees covered by the FLSA must also receive overtime pay for extra hours. The FLSA states that employers have to pay at least one and one-half times regular pay for employees who work more than 40 hours a week. A complaint can be filed against employers who are violating this rule. The identity of the employee who files a complaint is kept confidential in order to avoid possible discrimination against that employee by the employer.

As an employee covered by the FSLA, you need to get familiar with your rights. If you or someone you know is not being paid the rightful minimum wage, hiring an attorney may be in your best interest. A skilled attorney might be able to help you recover the wages your employer owes you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  1. Suffering from discrimination in the workplace?

    Take Action Now
  2. Experiencing illegal employment retaliation?

    Get your job back
  3. Need help enforcing your contractual rights?

    We can help – learn how
  4. Are You A Victim of wrongful termination?

    You have rights
  5. 100 % Employment Law. 100 % For Employees. Put 20 years of experience to work for you.

Learn more about what to expect at our firm.

You can also schedule a face-to-face consultation with lawyer Stephanie Hahn by calling 800-375-1548.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Office Location

Stephanie Jane Hahn, Attorney at Law PC
3815 River Crossing Parkway
Suite 100
Indianapolis, IN 46240

Toll Free: 800-375-1548
Fax: 317-816-7001
Indianapolis Law Office Map

Contact Info

Schedule Appointment

Conveniently located in River Crossing at Keystone at the top of the I-465 dial, we serve employees statewide.